Harvest is a wonderful time to think about the food that grows and is produced around us, from blackberries in the hedgerows to vegetables from our gardens. Seasonal food is so good for our bodies because it is naturally ripe and ready and full of goodness. Eating seasonal food also benefits the environment because of fewer food miles travelled and is often cheaper too. Why not try one of our autumn recipes that uses seasonal fruit and vegetables?
Autumn is a fantastic time to go on a nature walk and use our senses to explore a place. What can you see, hear, smell and touch? Maybe you could collect natural materials to use in the classroom, for example conkers as a counting resource.
Harvest art and craft ideas:
• Collect fallen leaves to create a tree collage
• Printing with paint using seasonal fruit and vegetables
• Make salt dough and shape into a harvest loaf
• Design and make a class or school scarecrow
• Write an acrostic HARVEST poem and decorate it
• Create an autumn, stained glass window using a cardboard frame, two sheets of sticky-backed plastic and as many beautiful natural items you can find!